The Port Seton Golf Club was founded in 1912. The course was 18 holes of distances varying between 170 to 500 yds, aggregating 6000 yards and ran along the South side of the main Edinburgh road from East of Cockenzie towards what is now the Seton Sands holiday camp. The land for the course was leased from the Wemyss Estate. The clubhouse was the Marine Tea Rooms (Old Ship Inn). The development of the course was promoted by a small company of whom Mr H B Cadell, W.S, was the chairman (a member of the Honourable company of Edinburgh Golfers). The Port Seton Golf Club was formed over May 1912 with members being admitted at the moderate annual subscription of 25s for gentlemen and 15s for ladies. The course opened on the 5th July 1912 and was opened by a tee off by the Countess of Wemyss with B Sayers as her partner. The course went on to host various competitions including a Professional competition in 1914.
Due to funding issues during WW1, the course was reduced to 9 holes in 1918, and again in the mid 1930’s when the Town Council took over the lease which then expired in 1938. The Council tried and failed to renew the lease and the land returned to its original state. The Port Seton Golf Club ceased to exist in early 1939 and the members at that time amalgamated with the Thorntree GC and played over the Royal Musselburgh Golf Course.
In 1958 a group of local golfers reformed the old club under the name of the Port Seton Golf Club and had 50 members within a fortnight. The club were given 3 of the old trophies (Cadell Medal (pictured), Gourlay Cup and the McKinlay Cup), which are still played for today.
The club now sits at 38 members (who are also members of local clubs) and normally has a waiting list. The club plays 8 outings per year at local clubs, internal matchplay competitions including the Club Championship and has annual matches against the Thorntree GC and Cockenzie GC.
Our AGM & Committee meetings are held in the Thorntree Inn, Cockenzie, where our Captains board is displayed. We are affiliated members of both the Lothians Golf Association and Scottish Golf LTD. (More information is available on our history using the contacts above).
County Card Club